Evergreen Frost

Everygreen Frost

f/7.1, 1/125, ISO-400, 50mm

I’ve always rather liked the apparent contradiction of white frost on green needles of evergreens. This morning we had a dense fog and 24 degrees F, which made for great conditions for taking frost photos. If you look back at some of the earliest posts of this blog, you’ll see my very first attempts at capturing frost, and that was a much more dramatic frost than this one. Looking back, this picture seems to me to be the clearest proof of how much I have improved as a photographer over the past year. I hope I can say I’ve improved as much again a year from now.

There wasn’t much in the way of post-processing on this image, though I did bring out the green, and muted the red/orange background at the top to black and white to make the green pop a little more.

This entry was posted in Landscape, Natural Lighting, Nature, Photography, Winter and tagged , , .

1. photosfromtheloonybin February 5, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Beautiful capture! It makes me chilly just looking at it ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Nicole Ftacnik Photography February 5, 2012 at 10:44 am #

Very nice!

3. niki February 5, 2012 at 11:30 am #

Winter is a wonderful season for taking pictures. Great work!

• AJBopp February 5, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

It often is but this winter has largely been characterized as brown.

4. sunsetseasoul February 8, 2012 at 4:29 am #

Love this shot! The evergreen is so delicate, and the white frost against the green is a perfect touch. Great capture, Anthony!

• AJBopp February 11, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

Thanks! I have some more on this theme coming up in the next few days, so I hope you like them too! This one I think has the most striking colors though.

5. mountaincoward February 11, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

I have to admit that I hate going out in such cold and damp conditions… but they do provide superb photographic opportunities that’s for sure. Brilliant photo!
    Carol.

• AJBopp February 11, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

Well this wasn’t too bad because it was just on my way into the office anyway ๐Ÿ™‚ But I hate going out and trying to photograph in the cold.

6. mountaincoward February 12, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

I keep meaning to take my camera to work with me – there are some beautiful woods just across the road. Just, at that time in a morning, I always forget!
    Carol.

• AJBopp February 12, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

My camera pretty much always goes with me. It’s an old holdover from my photo-journalist days. I lived by the proverb that you can’t get the shot if you don’t have the camera. Coincidentally, I have a whole post coming up in the next couple of weeks where I totally derail from photography and go on a rant about the current state of journalism. ๐Ÿ™‚ Oh well, I try not to rant too much.

7. mountaincoward February 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

I always see wonderful things when I forget to take my camera somewhere (or just don’t bother to) – when I have it with me, it’s usually grim conditions and I see nothing worth taking. I must get into the habit of always taking it places. It’s a big, old heavy film Zenith though so weighs a lot and is pretty bulky!
    Carol.