Wired Sunset

Wired Sunset

f/11, 1/100, ISO-100, 50mm

Have I mentioned that I hate power lines? Yes, I have, here. Well, I’m saying it again. Power lines screw up more photographs than any other single element I know of (other than the photographer, of course). Even in rural areas (or perhaps especially in rural areas) it’s extremely difficult to avoid them. If I had more time and skill perhaps I would put more effort into Photoshopping them out, but it seems like cheating somehow. Probably my journalism background showing again.

In any case, here’s another rare case where I just threw up my hands and decided to maximize a detested subject rather than try to avoid it. It was either make them work in the shot or lose the opportunity to capture a brilliant sunset. I’m not decided on how successful I managed to integrate the wires, but here it is.

Any novice can tell I bumped up the color effects considerably, and I am fully prepared to be told that I overdid it. I wanted grossly dramatic highlights on the clouds. I got that effect, but I also got an occasional hard line between the orange and blue.

It’s also the premier of my brand new watermark. Exciting times.

This entry was posted in Natural Lighting, Nature, Night, Photography, Winter and tagged , , , , .

1. Tuxedo Sophisticated Cat March 6, 2012 at 9:24 am #

I’m with you . . . I hate power lines. And I will admit that on occasion, I have removed them from the photo in Photoshop if there weren’t too many.

• AJBopp March 6, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

I’ve got a couple of shots that I keep telling myself I’m going to take the trouble to edit out the lines, but I haven’t bothered quite yet. Someday 🙂

2. mdphotographers March 6, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

Yep I am joining the party. Back in December 3 of my friends took a trip into a historic town in MD only to find out that we wasted roughly 2 hours. Every single photo we took had power lines somewhere in the photos. I don’t yet have the skill to shop them out.

• AJBopp March 6, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

It does feel like a waste of effort sometimes. It can be hard to shop them out but there’s plenty of tutorials you find on Google and actually, with a little practice, it’s not that hard. I’d just rather be behind the camera than the keyboard 🙂

3. Bella Remy Photography March 6, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

What a very nice watermark and I actually like the color bump that you added to this shot. Historic town in MD..Humm…wonder where you were? We have had some pretty sunsets this week here.

• AJBopp March 6, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

Thanks! It is really growing on me. I like it more than the swoopy one, but I am still tweaking it a bit. Sharp-eyed readers will be able to see some minor modifications to it in the coming few days. I am glad you like the coloring I did. I like it the more I look at it, but I do wish I’d had the chance to get a better foreground. Not just the power lines, but the junky trailer and all…just kinda spoils the mood.

4. Michele March 7, 2012 at 7:10 am #

Perhaps it will be reassuring to hear that I did not notice the power lines until I read your words. So they do not stick out horribly. The first thing I noticed was the bright orange of the sunset contrasting with the darkness of the foreground.

Thanks for visiting my blog yesterday.

• AJBopp March 7, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

That is indeed awesome to hear! You have a wonderful blog and I highly recommend it!

5. Sheila T Illustrated March 9, 2012 at 10:26 pm #

I’m hating on wires and power lines as well, AJ. Really like the new watermark.

One Trackback

1. By Tired Blaze « Visual Journey Photography on March 16, 2012 at 9:19 am

[…] another shot of that sunset with power lines and a particularly ugly background. I think I composed this one a little better […]