Gnarled

Gnarled

f/4, 1/800, ISO-100, 75mm

The classic example of a gnarled tree. I need to come back to this spot some calm night and get about a 30-45 second exposure with my 1.8 50mm, and schedule it for posting on Halloween. As it is, the sun was still fairly high when this was taken with my 75-300mm zoom. I tried taking this tree from several angles, and although the tree itself is interesting I never quite was satisfied with the background. Either the background was so busy it distracted from the tree, or the background didn’t fit the general mood the tree presented (above). In the end, I tried helping to force the creepy mood a little bit by throwing it into black and white.

This entry was posted in Landscape, Natural Lighting, Nature, Photography and tagged , , .

1. Nels April 15, 2012 at 1:15 pm #

Hopefully there are at least some buds starting to pop on that tree where you are. Great photo, love the B/W treatment!

• AJBopp April 15, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

Thanks Nels! Not sure whether this tree is still alive or not. If so, I expect I’ll have to wait a year to try for this photo again.

2. Sheila T Illustrated April 15, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Oooh, can’t wait to see the visual you hope to achieve for the Halloween shot!

3. AJBopp April 15, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

I think I’ve decided at last what I don’t like about this photo. I need to redo it with a wide angle instead of a telephoto, and get down low so that the horizon is below the branches. Really make it stand out from the background. If I position myself to the left a few feet I can get the house out of it and really create something that looks lonely and creepy.

4. Dan April 15, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

I run across many trees that are interesting, but their location and the backgrounds are not. Tough challenge. I like your thoughts to do wide from a lower angle. Good luck!

• AJBopp April 15, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

Thanks Dan! We’ll see if I can make it work. I don’t recall exactly how the scene looks…there may be a good reason I didn’t take it from further left to begin with. But I do know that the tree is standing pretty much alone in a clearing, so I ought to be able to do something with a lower angle. This was the day I was determined to do stuff with my zoom lens. I need to learn to not let wanting new experiences get in the way of getting the best shots.