Firesky

Firesky

f/4.5, 1/2000, ISO-100, 18mm

No there wasn’t a great plains fire burning near me or anything. Just a sunrise I captured this morning on a foggy river. It’s one of those photos that really doesn’t look all that striking unless you have your monitor calibrated. On my dual-monitor system, one is calibrated and the other is not. The uncalibrated screen makes the image appear all washed out. So if you don’t like this photo, blame your monitor πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Landscape, Natural Lighting, Nature, Photography and tagged , , , .

4 Comments

  1. Nels August 18, 2012 at 10:44 am #

    What makes the image for me is the clarity of the shorline to the bottom right set against the foggy distance. Nice work with photo length/aperature on this image. Could be a monitor thing, but the clouds upper right look “processed”. I end up with the same effect in my clouds sometimes, and usually decide to discard the image, start the processing over again, or, as you have done here, decided that it doesn’t distract from the image. Nice work!

    • AJBopp August 18, 2012 at 10:49 am #

      Yeah I find that happens to clouds when I fiddle too much with the HSL. Someone better at postwork than I could undoubtedly do better, and this is probably a case also where I should give up my steadfast refusal to process in anything but Lightroom and break out Photoshop instead. In the end, I justified the look as being ethereal and decided to let it go. πŸ™‚

  2. Anonymous August 18, 2012 at 11:08 am #

    I like the effect. The right half of the image looks like HDR (which I like) and the left non-HDR (which I also like). All in all it’s a good image.

    I am 95% lightroom, and I’ve never opened up photoshop in my life. The other 5% of my editing is via Photomatix and a few other programs I use here and there. I need to get with the times πŸ™‚

    Are you on G+?

    • AJBopp August 18, 2012 at 11:13 am #

      Thanks for the kind words! Yes I am on G+. You can connect with me there and a few other places from the Connect menu item on my blog.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared.